Monday, November 17, 2008

double bagging

today the checker at walgreens forced me to take TWO plastic bags for my "merchandise."
she was an older woman, probably in her mid to late seventies. her hair was swoopy and curled and i had observed her helping others ahead of me in line.
"the handles just broke on that bag!" she said, referring to a bag of "merchandise" she had prepared for a customer. then she said, "scary!"
so when i arrived to the front of the line, with a box of Dots, a stack of blank cds, and a bottle of shampoo and conditioner (all held comfortably in two hands), she double-bagged me!
"one bag is fine," i said.
and she proceeded to take a second plastic bag and place it inside the first one.
"i don't need two bags," i emphasized, thinking for a moment she was hard-of-hearing.
"the handles on these bags have been breaking!" she said. "i have evidence of that right here behind the counter."
so i took the double bag and left.

2 comments:

terocious said...

One time in high school Brian Mccann, Matt and I were making Meat and Cheese sandwhich's at Brian's House. It was Baloney and Cheese but Brian always called them Meat and Cheese. The sandwhich's were lined up, open faced in a row. Brian squeezed mustard on to the first then said "Matt, Mustard?"

Matt said "no thank you" as Brian started to squeeze mustard onto his sandwhich. Matt said "No thank you!" louder and as brian finished up and moved onto mine Matt added "Brian I said no Thank You!"

I think of this once every couple of week who knows why.

ETness said...

I try to bring my own cloth bag even to the drug store. Then I say, "If you don't mind, I have my own bag." It gives them the feeling they have control. The older ones give me a look like I'm crazy, but the younger ones know what the deal is.