Monday, April 26, 2010

beckett's masterpiece

Rehearsal was unsatisfying and borderline frustrating tonight, for the following reasons:
1. My cohort keeps apologizing every time he speaks. I thought I was a chronic apologizer! He makes me look like Napoleon! Tonight he actually stepped on a spot on the floor and it creaked and he apologized to it. I am not lying. This would all be funny and chuckly except that this man really takes his apologies to heart. So that by two hours into rehearsal he has hit a wall of exhaustive self-hatred and almost completely shuts down, becoming nearly impossible to work with.
2. We are at that point in rehearsal where things are just frustrating, regardless of the work we're doing. It is standard.
3. I feel that the director hasn't been specific enough with some of the blocking in the show. Now I am a person who believes that an actor can create his own blocking and that makes the movement that much more organic. However, there are bits in this play that call for very specific comic timing and consistency in order to work, and those bits aren't really being established. This worried me tonight.
Ah, relief. I feel better now that those things are off my chest.

No comments: