Saturday, May 14, 2011

Stuff's Happnin'

Walking. An hour of time spent well. Three minutes brisk followed by three minutes relaxed, ten times. Houses, sidewalks, trees, cats, cars, people, joggers, babies, bikers, a little girl on a scooter. Playlist in my ears is 20 songs, 10 fast, 10 slow, interspersed to match the pace of my walk.
In other news, Hedda Gabler opened this weekend. I am having fun playing George Tesman, Hedda's well-meaning husband, though I also feel that I haven't fully hit my stride yet.
I've been asked to play Stanley in A Streetcar Named Desire next spring. It was a jaw-dropping offer, a role I never thought I'd be asked to play, though I did make a paltry effort at Stanley during a sophomore workshop production in college. I am not very much like Stanley in most ways, though the director has been very persuasive in reminding me of the ways I am very much like him-- full of rage, judgmental, driven by desire. There will be a preliminary reading at the end of the month.
I am putting together material to start my own acting studio, called River City Actors Studio. The paint is still being mixed on this one. Updates to come.
I've been asked to act in a relatively new play called God of Carnage, by Yazmina Reza. It is the story of two couples, parents whose children got in a fight at school. It's a remarkably funny, harrowing play that I look forward to working on. The Broadway cast included Marcia Gay Harden, James Gandolfini, Hope Davis, and Jeff Daniels.
And isn't that new Beastie Boys album gooood...................

No comments: