Tuesday, March 31, 2009

goll-damn it's beautiful today. the weather is cool and sunny. it hailed two hours ago (i missed it, was fast asleep). the sky is now white and blue.
rehearsals have started on THE GOAT. it occurs to me occasionally while i'm working on this play that this character, martin, is a great deal smarter than i am, on several different levels. chief among them is his ability to mentally navigate through a quagmire of confusion, joy, sorrow, infidelity, outrage, and wonder. and he navigates like a mo-fo, instantly steering from one to the next, to the next, in the space of mere lines. the challenge this presents to me as an actor is prodigious-- not only to feel and justify these split-second changes but also to make the changes clear and understandable on some level. i'm not complaining-- i relish a challenge; and the director and my leading lady are impeccable. it's time for me to memorize the hell out of myself.
in other news:
david and i are preparing for a trip to seattle, to attend my friend dave's wedding party. we already have a full slate of activities for the extended weekend (thursday through sunday): see my friend beth, see david's friend ade and go to his show, visit with another friend of david's on friday then go to a special screening of 'showgirls' that evening (my friend dave is an expert 'showgirls' commentator), see another of my friends for lunch on saturday, and attend dave's wedding party on saturday evening. we come home sunday afternoon. david and i have never been on a trip like this together. it will be fun. right now there are a few more logistics to take care of, like our rental car and printing maps and such.
long-range plans:
-work on TAKE ME OUT
-work on UNCLE VANYA

No comments: