Saturday, December 02, 2006

drama teacher speaks

terocious, thanks for asking.
the students are doing a wonderful job. we've had three shows now and each audience is a little larger than the last. everyone in the cast seems to be enjoying the performances. nina and constantin get better each night. last night i saw nina incorporate some nuances that were really stunning. the actor playing trigorin told me yesterday this was his favorite play he's ever done.
i'm straining against something, some wall i'm not sure how to get through. i don't understand it quite yet, but i think it has to do with my ego. my self-involvement factor is pretty lethal, in many imaginable ways. and there's a degree of perfectionism that blinds me.
i need to wake up!
barry, i remember once when your brother and i put up some siding on the schoolhouse. we did it poorly just to get through it, some of the panels were crooked. when you came out and saw it your face showed confusion and disappointment. i didn't understand why it mattered. i'm sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've given birth, and now you have post partem depression. Just breathe and let it go. They have to fly away; it's their nature. You'll do it again later with another show. If you want to you can LEARN something from it all. But maybe that's not the point. I love my drama teacher friend.

terocious said...

I remember the very look of that day. That is really cool about Nina's nuances. kitus did the coolest plays I was ever involved in. I think because I was so involved. Perhaps this is the same for trigorin.