Wednesday, September 09, 2009

nine-nine-nine

it's september 9, 2009.
there may be logistical problems with president obama's policies. there may be financial conundrums he can't solve. maybe he has made too many concessions to the right. his health care plan may be criticized as a grab-bag of policies.
but what is most important to me about him is the direct human element he brings to an office i had grown up being at best indifferent to, at worst cynical about. what i mean by 'direct human element' is that it seems to me our president cares about people and people's issues. it seems he really has people's welfare in mind. in listening to past presidents, i found myself straining to understand them, relate to them, decipher them; i always wondered what ulterior motives they had. with president obama, it never crosses my mind-- for some reason, i trust him completely. when i listen to him, i understand. i agree. i am inspired.
i am still thrilled and inspired that barack obama is our president.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Maybe, part of it is we are getting older and Obama is closer to us in age and experience.

I have not lost any of the respect I had for him early on. He has made some mistakes, like calling a police officer's actions stupid on national television. But still this only served to make me respect him more when he turned around and apologized. I think he is in touch with his human side. :-)