Sunday, April 02, 2006

mom's day

well, it's been a nice cool winter and spring. until yesterday. when i got in my car it was 99 degrees. let the profuse sweating begin.
today is my mom's 70th birthday. last night we had a party for her at my sister's house. mom was surprised to see a few of her old friends there, friends she hadn't expected. my brother and sis-in-law wrote a song for mom to the tune of "leavin' on a jet plane" and we sang it to her. we ate fajitas and cake and gave her gifts. we sat around her and reminisced. my dad kept making sentimental speeches-- he's become a real softie in his old age (he's 73). my mom's closest friend, who just recently turned 80, is starting to lose her memory. sometimes she will say "where are we?" when she's in a familiar place. the good thing is that she still realizes she's losing her memory. but it's a little depressing to think about the deterioration ahead of her...
but back to my mom. she's cute. happy birthday mom.

No comments: