Wednesday, January 17, 2007

second snow day

no school yesterday or today. icy roads.
it snowed in san antonio in 1985.
during my last winter in california (2002-03) it snowed so steadily that an entire subdivision of our town lost power for over a week. it was beautiful and f r e e z i n g. my head became permanently hat-haired.
it was trippy living in all that snow. i loved the transformational qualities of the snow, the way it swaddled our little house by the hillside, how it made the sky look so blue. but i hated driving in the stuff, especially when i had to go over donner pass. putting cold chains on a cold car while pulled over on the side of a filthy, freezingly slushy highway was not my idea of fun. so i was really thrilled when i finally got a toyota 4-runner. it solved many problems.
here in my hometown, people don't know how to drive in the rain, much less on icy roadways. they go too fast and don't leave enough room between cars. and my dad made me sell my 4-runner.
i finally got out my chinese brush & ink set yesterday and doodled around a little.

1 comment:

Nik said...

I still sometimes long a bit for the insular white chill of those Tahoe winters, but Avril doesn't miss them a whit. I kind of liked how the world is put on "pause" for a while by a really good storm.