Sunday, February 03, 2008

reading

i wake up today wanting to read.
the computer has damaged my ability and availability to read.
i'm going to open up a tome of jane austen.
apparently i was one of the only kids in my first grade class who already knew how to read.
my mom says it's because of my good brain, but i know it's "the electric company"'s fault.
when i was in second grade i told the teacher's assistant that i wanted to be a writer.
i do love words.
(the teacher's assistant was this really pretty tall redhead named miss wood. once when i wasn't feeling well i went to the front of the class and told her. she felt my forehead and said, "oh baby, you're burning up!" i was immediately in love. somehow i kept in touch with her and when i was in fifth grade, got a note from her that i kept. she'd gotten married by then, which made me feel a little dejected, and at the end of the note, she asked, "do you still want to be a writer?" ...it's the only evidence i have that i'd declared that wish as early as second grade.)

1 comment:

Colin Parsons said...

I remember those days. In my elementary school(s), they called them "authors" and not "writers" which confused me later on. They made it seem like an easy and lucrative career choice.