Sunday, December 18, 2005

the holidays

a few things.

1. it seems nic won't be around much longer, is leaving the university and going back to taiwan in january.
ironically, this song by sparks plays next in my iPod:
"i married myself
i'm very happy together
long long walks on the beach
lovely times...
this time it's gonna last
this time it's gonna last
forever, forever, forever..."
a hilarious song striking a sadly true note.
but i'm not in the dumps about it. what would be the use of that? life can be sad, disappointing. i've accepted that. everything's for a reason. just keep going and observing and absorbing everything around me.

2. friend marc from delaware, by way of north carolina, has moved to san antonio. he is a cohort from the theatre company and is seeking a life of quiet employment and music study and art making. yesterday i took him to my favorite mexican food place in town and then we drove around to various places. it's nice to have him around again.

3. the teenager in me (who is still very much alive, on certain levels) was gratified today at lyricsfreak.com (thanks catherine) when i found out what the hell that bjork girl is saying in one of her early hits: "the hardcore and gentle big time sensuality." it was the "hardcore" part i never understood. does that mean something?

4. last night i made christmas cookies with friend fran and her daughter zoe. while mushing my hands in the cranberry-orange cookie dough i had a flashback of past holiday meal preparations and at first thought, "i'm starting to feel christmas a little;" then i got a little sad, as the memory traveled from my senses into my thoughts. i began to realize the christmas memory i was having was a bittersweet one. at the same time i felt grateful to have a strong sense memory, grateful that my body has the incredible ability to remember things before my mind does. it was also cool that i didn't have to keep it in, but could talk about it with fran, discuss relationships and exactly what happened in them.

5. today fran, zoe and i will go see the nutcracker. a couple of my students are in it.

6. my holiday break has begun!

No comments: